Con Report: Mechacon 9

Sorry it’s been ages since my last post! Loki stole my attention. The last few weeks are a blur, to be honest, between work and getting Trust ready for Mechacon. It was successful – Trust is available on Smashwords for download! The link:

Mechacon is an anime and video game convention that happens annually in New Orleans, Louisiana. This year was my third year going, though my first with a monetary interest besides spending money. I worked with my publisher and my mother, the artist Lepplady, to do a promo. The promo didn’t work out exactly as I hoped, but I did give out a bunch of business cards for my book. With any luck I’ll generate some sales from that. (I gave a coupon code for a free copy of my book to Johnny Yong Bosch. I mean, how awesome is that?) 

Without being able to buy anything this year save for the plushies I purchased ahead of time, this year’s con was much more devoted to experiencing the event. I arrived early Friday morning after working the night, so sleep deprivation was my immediate worry. Thank goodness the hotel provided a lot of coffee! Friday there weren’t many events I wished to attend. I honestly don’t remember much of it. I walked around the floor and got familiar with the locations of everything. There was one panel I wished to attend at 2pm, and I believe that it was the Mighty Morphin’ Bleach Ranger panel hosted by Johnny Yong Bosch. I managed to ask a question about the Tales of the Abyss anime series that was recently picked up by Funimation, so I’m happy. I also took my turn at my mom’s table in Artist’s Alley. There were plenty of of con-goers looking at the wares but very few sales. At the end of my day I went to the game room to play a round of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but I was unable to. I settled for a few rounds of DDR to work off the rest of the caffeine in my system so I could pass out – finally. My day ran for 27 hours!

Saturday was the busiest day of the con for me. I woke up early and was unable to sleep afterwards, but showers. I don’t have a shower in my house, just a bathtub, so I cherish every shower I can take. I took one Friday as well after a short nap, but Saturday’s shower served to reinvigorate me. It didn’t matter that I hadn’t slept. I was going to enjoy my day!

There were three panels I planned on attending before the Eyeshine concert at 8:30 and then the rave directly afterwards. The first was a Doctor Who 50th Anniversary panel where we all discussed aspects of the series and what could happen with the show. It was awesome hearing all of the fan theories about what could happen in the episode. Hearing that it was filmed in 3D made me happier. It wasn’t because I can view it in 3D. Knowing that the series was getting that much love and dedication made me happy to be a fan.

The second panel was another Johnny Yong Bosch Q&A. I mostly went just to hear him talk, to be honest. He has a lovely voice. He is also very amusing and I found myself embarrassed on his behalf many times. The stories he told in his Q&As were enough to keep me well engaged. Well, until my coffee wore off and I had to start stifling my yawns. Really, Johnny, I adored your panel! Please don’t be mad that the woman in the Tails hat was yawning every so often. 

The third panel I arrived at late because Johnny’s panel ran a bit over. It was an improv panel where two gentlemen impersonated Wheatley from Portal 2 and riffed on various subjects. I threw out two for them to riff on – Pacific Rim and Gravitation, and the gentlemen handled it splendidly. The highlight of that panel, however, was when someone walked in with a replica Wheatley core. After the improvers noticed it, the man with the core had it deliver the perfect line for the occasion. Nothing could top that!

Other highlights from Saturday are my few hours where I cosplayed as Mew from Pokemon. It was a gijinka cosplay where I wore a pink dress and a Mew tail. I planned on cosplaying all day but the flip flops I wore got on my nerves. I did get to be awesome when I had to venture into the real world in full cosplay. There were volunteers in front of the WalMart I went to who asked me why I was dressed as a kitty. 

The other panel I attended, though I don’t remember what day it was, was a panel about JRPGs. I got to play a bit of Tales of the Abyss, though I couldn’t find Belkend and the controls for the combat were remapped funny. There were bunches of games I saw that I hadn’t heard of before. Hell if I can remember their names though!

Then came the true highlight of my Saturday night: The Eyeshine concert! I managed to get a spot right at the front. It was close enough to the stage that I could see every member of the band clearly. The music was excellent and, even though I didn’t do much jumping, I screamed so much that my voice went funny. I called Mom in the room so she could hear my chipmunk voice. It was hilarious. Directly after the concert I got in line to have a badge signed by Johnny. After he signed it I gave him a coupon code for my book. I can only hope he really does download it – I told him that if my book was ever made into an anime, I’d want him to voice June. 

Then, the rave. I avoided the line because I didn’t feel like waiting and ended up doing an interview on Electronic Dance Music. They said that they liked my answers to their questions, but I derped because I forgot one of the questions. So, who knows? Once I got into the rave, I sat in the back and just let the bass make my entire body vibrate. The thrumming in my sternum was so pleasant. Despite the loud music it was quite comforting and I think I managed to doze a bit. A cop woke me up though and I made sure to stay awake after that. At about three I left the rave. I knew I needed some sleep! Before that, though, it was time to game. I walked around the con floor with my Wii Remote and Nunchuck attached to my belt because that’s how I play Smash Bros. After the rave I was finally able to play a few rounds. Sonic + flat stage + neutral b attack spam. ❤ Then I did some Dance Central because I only ever get to play it at cons. It was fun 😀 Also of note was running into Eyeshine at the MechCorps simulators. I was gonna wait around to watch them play because a rock band in giant robots doesn’t happen every day. I eventually gave up and went to play my games.

Finally, Sunday. There was exactly one thing I planned to do, and that was to go watch the Bleach movie that was screened in the video room. It was the fourth movie, the one that took place in Hell, and I’m kicking myself over not watching it before. It was epic! After that I went to Artist’s Alley to help mom pack up. They left a bit earlier than I did. The very last thing I did at the con was play a round of Dance Dance Revolution.

I did come home with an army, though.

Overall, I had a lot of fun this past weekend. I can’t wait for next year! 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s